Wednesday, March 26, 2008

a different perspective...

After reading a few other blogs concerning the reading of Ohmann's essay I find myself feeling challenged and appreciate these different perspectives. My initial reading of the text was filled with shock and disbelief at this idea of such a small group of people deciding the fate of the American population. How dare they choose what books would be bestsellers and what books would collect dust on the back shelves. However, after reading through some of my classmate's blogs I realize that Ohmann's essay is only one side of this scenario. In fact, we can't simply blame this small group of agents and publishers; we must also look at ourselves.

We as readers have the choice to read whatever book we desire. We live in a country where we have the free will to choose whatever novel we want from the bookstore or library shelf. But we are naturally drawn to those bestseller books and so often we never reach the books that aren't receiving national attention. However, we can move past these books, we can discover other wonderful stories that have gone unnoticed. It is our decision, our choice, and we can't place all the blame on others for this issue. We as individuals can ultimately decide what we are going to read.

What I'm trying to say is I appreciate the input and ideas and thoughts of others on this issue. It allowed me to change my perspective and a opinion a bit and gave me a sense of clarity on Ohmann's essay. I'm so quick to agree and not to sit back and really think about the issue at hand and challenge it. These other insights provided me with feedback that I could chew on. So thanks...

1 comment:

mpmthoughtsonlitcrit said...

Thought it was interesting to read that you were surprised by some of Ohmann's research. When I was reading it, I kept thinking well duh obviously the ruling class has the power. I found myself getting annoyed at the fact that Ohmann did research on what I consider such an obvious reality. After reading your post I realize that it isn't so obvious to everyone, and that is why research is important. I totally agree with you that we don't have to be taken by best sellers. I can't think of a time that I have gone to a best sellers list when considering what to read. However, I think many of us would say that we have been influenced to read things by other people and basically forced to read certain things in the academy. Interesting post- keep up the good work =)!