Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bestsellers...

"The values and beliefs of a small group of people played a disproportionate role in deciding what novels would be widely read in the United States." Richard Ohmann, The Shape of a Canon: U.S. Fiction, 1960-1975


Wow. I definitely never thought about literature or novels in this way before. But it makes complete sense. The only books I ever really look at in a bookstore are the ones that are on the front shelves that say something like "TOP 20 BESTSELLERS". It's crazy but true and I never thought about how these books were being selected as the bestsellers. I never thought about all the politics and advertising that influenced this book selection. It upsets me because it's seems so unfair and unbalanced.
"...a small group of book buyers formed a screen through which novels
passed on their way to commercial success; a handful of agents and editors picked
the novels that would compete for the notice of those buyers; a tight
network of advertisers and reviewers...selected from these a few to be
recognized as compelling, important, 'talked-about'" (Ohmann, The Shape
of a
Canon).
Shouldn't the American people, the actual readers and consumers of
these books, be making the ultimate decision? And why do we buy into
this "scam" where we just naturally are drawn to the bestseller label? I realize how many excellent books I've been missing simply because I don't move past these novels. Is there a better way to go about this? I don't know but I agree with Ohmann that it is worth challenging.
Here is a link to the New York Times Bestsellers list right now: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/index.html


1 comment:

abby.king said...

Amanda,
I completely agree with you. I never really sat down and thought about how social hierarchy and marketing influence what books become the bestsellers and what ones are tossed out of the picture. It is a scary and some what sobering thought to think that a small handful of people control "the best" of everything for everyone.
At the same time I think Ohmann also does have to factor in free will and a person's ability to decide what it is and isn't that they are going to read. It goes both ways and there is a balance.