Saturday, February 16, 2008

The American Scholar


It is important to take into account the point Emerson is trying to make throughout his speech: That there is "one man". We aren't students, teachers, actors, writers, farmers. We are all of these. Within this the American scholar has a purpose and that is to see the world clearly and to understand his obligation to the "one man" concept and to broaden other's views by guiding them in knowledge.

Knowing this information I dived into studying Emerson's view of reading and the value he places on books. I found it insightful in many ways and agree with his view to an extent. Basically books can be used for the good but also can become a problem or be bad in differing circumstances. In Emerson's case he is saying that the book can be used to inspire and pass on knowledge from the past, which is good. But if books become a hindrance, if they keep the scholar from achieving his purpose and goals, if these books limit him, then books bad (he never actually says books are bad, but that's how I read it). At first I was apprehensive of his thoughts. Honestly, I love reading and I find books to open up so many windows of thought and imagination and creativity in my own world. But then I realized that Emerson would see this as good, he just wouldn't want me to not act on those thoughts and those new creative ideas. Emerson really emphasized the importance of taking action, of doing something. He wrote about how often the view of a scholarly person from outsiders is that they are lazy and simply sit around and think all day. We need to be intentional in doing something active, in taking the information we are learning and gaining as scholars and apply it to the world around us. My favorite line in Emerson's speech is
"The mind now thinks; now acts; and each fit reproduces the other. When the artist has exhausted his materials, when the fancy no longer paints, when thoughts are no longer apprehended, and books are a weariness, -- he has always the resource to live. Character is higher than intellect. Thinking is the function. Living is the functionary."

This passage made Emerson's entire speech powerful to me. How true! So often as a student I get wrapped up in my studies, in my writing and reading. But there are so many times during a semester when I'm mentally drained. I have nothing left to give, I feel stretched thin with little left to offer. But Emerson is saying that during those times of "weariness" we still have the choice to live, to go out and do something with our talents that may not involve the normal resources we use such as books, computers, paints, etc. But this character is higher than what we are learning, it comes first. Thinking improves upon these actions and allows us to give more effectively and efficiently, to offer more back to the world around us so that, as Emerson stated in the beginning of his speech, we can guide others into a better understanding of this world.

No comments: